Sunday, March 3, 2019

Joelle's Wilted Kale and Roasted-Potato Winter Salad

This hearty dish is more of a filling side dish, or could even serve as a main dish, rather than what I think of as a "salad". When one of my best friends in vet school gave me this recipe I did not consider kale edible, and I wasn't sure what tahini was. Now, I keep a container of tahini in the fridge just so I can make this recipe on a whim, and it remains the best lemon-tahini dressing I've ever had.

I have done some variations - substitute roasted broccoli for kale, or make it without cheese or substitute cheddar, or substitute roasted cauliflower for potatoes. They are all good, but in my mind the original remains the best.

Pictured: The time I made it with broccoli instead of kale, and with cheddar cheese :). There may even be some way-ward purple onions in with the potatoes!!!! 


Joelle's Wilted Kale and Roasted-Potato Winter Salad

Makes 4-6 servings depending on how whether you actually know the weight of your produce that is being used (I don't usually), and whether you are serving as a main or side course. 

What you need: 
  • 2 pounds yukon gold potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces 
  • 1/3 cup olive oil OR a drizzle (see notes and hints below) 
  • 4 garlic cloves - 3 thinly sliced and 1 minced 
  • 1/3 c. grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
  • 1/4 c. well-stirred tahini 
  • 2 tablespoons of water
  • 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice  
  • 3/4 pounds kale, stems and center ribs discarded and leaves very thinly sliced crosswise 

How to get 'er done:

  • Preheat the oven to 450*F
  • Toss potatoes with oil - I use a drizzle of oil instead of measuring 1/3 cup. Season to taste with salt and pepper and spread evenly on a cookie sheet or other large pan. I recommend using parchment paper to keep them from sticking. Roast about 10 minutes, then stir in 3 sliced garlic cloves, and roast for about 10 minutes. The potatoes should almost be done at this point. Sprinkle with cheese and roast until cheese is melted and golden in spots, about 5 more minutes. 
  • While the potatoes are roasting, make the dressing. Because of the small amount of dressing, and because it tends to thicken, I find it hard to get it out of a blender. I prefer to use a small whisk in a large bowl and give my arm a bit of a work out. However you choose to do it -  puree tahini, water, lemon juice, minced garlic, and 1/2 tsp of salt until smooth. Add more water if it's too thick. This dressing tends to thicken up as it sits, you will probably need to add a little more water than you think. 
  • Dump the potatoes in a large serving dish including any garlic and oil in the pan, once they are done. Add the kale and the tahini sauce and toss. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot.
Making Ahead

I've frozen individual portions of this "salad" and let thaw in the fridge with good results, as long as I use a "sturdy" vegetable like broccoli, or don't mind the kale getting a little soft. If you substitute vegetables such as spinach for the kale, I don't think it would freeze well. I prefer this salad hot so I warm leftovers in the microwave.

Hints and Notes

  • Yes, yukon gold potato texture is best for this dish. I think 2 pounds is about 4-5 medium sized yukon golds. I usually cut up potatoes until I have an even single layer on a cookie sheet for roasting,
  • Especially if you are using cheese, this makes everything REALLY greasy IMO. So, my advice would be to "use a drizzle" as described in method section.
  • I almost always use pre-prepared garlic and use whatever I have in the fridge - usually minced - and don't worry about slices or preparing cloves in different manners. 
  • I prefer the shredded Parmigiano cheese. I've also made this dish without cheese and it still tastes great if you want to do this dairy free.
  • Tahini separates and thick in the fridge, where it should be stored after opening. Leaving it out on the counter for an hour or two before you use it will help make it easier to stir and use.
  • 3 tablespoons of lemon juice is about 1 lemon's worth. If you want to serve with lemon wedges (I usually don't), then have another lemon available.
  • I consider 3/4 pound of kale = the bunch of kale that is sold twisty-tied together at the grocery store. There is a trick to getting the stems/center rib separated from the leaves. Hold the stem with one hand, and then place the thumb and forefinger of your other hand on either side of stem, where the leaves attach and then draw the stem away in a smooth motion, while strippping the leaves from the stem with your thumb/forefinger. If the stem breaks, repeat the motion until the entire leaf has been stripped). 

No comments:

Post a Comment