Thursday, May 11, 2017

Heart of Darkness Blackening Rub

Once upon a time I got an excellent deal on some salmon and I knew I wanted/needed/had to grill it. But what to season it with? I didn't have time to marinate it (and let's face it, when you have a nice chunky thick salmon fillet it does *not* want to be marinated) but I wanted something fancier than my usual "salt and pepper".

Enter "The Heart of Darkness" Blackening Rub. Shamelessly *stolen without modification from Zinczenko's and Goulding's "Cook This Not That - Kitchen survival guide", but so divine I had to share it here.

*I did substitute smoked paprika for regular paprika. I don't have *have* regular paprika in my pantry. Once we tried smoked paprika we were instantly hooked. 

When I mix up seasonings, I make enough for 2-3 uses and store in a mason jar. The first time I tasted this it was so unique, so.....party on my taste buds that I knew I would be posting it here. But, I waited until I tried it again. Just as good. It's a keeper.

Heart of Darkness

Mix together...


  • 1 part cumin
  • 1 part smoked paprika (original recipe calls for regular paprika. Use smoked paprika. It's worth it)
  • 1 part cayenne (yes it makes it spicy when you lick the seasoning off your fingers, but somehow when I eat it as part of the meat it just provides flavor, not spiciness. Just try it, and if you just can't handle it, reduce it by half next time)
  • 1 part oregano
  • 1 part black pepper
  • 1 part salt


The suggestion is to use it on fish and poultry.

I can't speak for chicken, but on grilled salmon it is absolutely fabulous. Compliments the flavor, texture, and experience of grilled salmon perfectly.

- I liberally cover both sides of the salmon fillet with rub, place on a medium hot grill that has been wiped with an oiled papertowel, and grill skin side down until crispy (~8-10 min-ish). Flip and cook for 5 ish minutes more. I like my Salmon barely cooked in the middle. If it flakes, we are good. Your preference may vary. 

No comments:

Post a Comment