Thursday, May 11, 2017

Hot Open-faced Roast Beef Sandwiches

This is a new-ish recipe that my husband has requested weekly since the first time I made it so I guess it's both a keeper and no longer new :).

It's easy, fast and delicious - perfect for a week-day dinner after work, but I think it's just fancy enough to serve to company too.

My husband is a rebel and puts a top on his a-la hot open-faced roast beef sandwich, puts cheese on it (hates horse-radish), AND insists on dipping it in some sort of broth, which works out nicely because there's always delicious liquid left from heating the roast beef lunch meat. Although why anyone would want to make a perfectly good sandwich soggy on purpose I do not understand. But, to each their own since he *refrains from making fun of me when I put too much horse-radish on mine and am blowing fire out my sinuses through my tears.

*Or at least, mostly just rolls his eyes and doesn't actually verbalizes his opinion?

-Originally adapted from a Blue Apron recipe

What you need

  • French Baguette loaf, sliced lengthwise and then into reasonable sandwich lengths. 
  • 1 pound roast beef lunch meat. This is enough for me to have a portion, my husband to eat many portions for dinner, my daughter to waste half a portion, and there still be a portion left over for his lunch the next day. 
  • Beef broth
  • mushrooms, 6-8 ounces sliced
  • Shallot, thinly sliced. Onion will work too, but shallots are a better texture in the final dish
  • Butter
  • Garlic
  • Sliced provolone or swiss cheese if that's your thing?
For sauce
  • 1/2 cup sour cream or plain yogurt or mayo
  • Juice of a lemon (but it's fine without if you forget like I did last night)
  • horse-radish to taste
Git 'er Done
Heat roast beef in a pan with a bit of beef broth to keep moist. Save liquid for dipping if desired (weirdo). 

Butter, rub with garlic, and toast the baguette halves (I use a 500F degree oven). 

Cook mushrooms and shallot with oil in a skillet on the stove until softened. Season with salt/pepper to taste.

Assemble sandwiches - slather cut side of baguette with sauce. Add roast beef. Add mushroom/shallot mixture. Top with additional sauce. Maybe add some cheese and melt on top if that's your fancy. 

Serve open faced (and be prepared to get your hands messy) or topped with another piece of baguette (a-la Mel's husband). 

No comments:

Post a Comment