Saturday, April 18, 2020

Pickled Kumquats





I have a kumquat tree in my backyard that produces more kumquats than you can possible imagine. If you've never had a kumquat, imagine bite size citrus that you can pop in your mouth like an oversized grape. The outside peel is thin and so sweet it's like candy, while the inside is tart as a lemon. The seeds? Well, they are edible and just think of them as adding texture to the whole experience.

The faster you chew the faster the tartness recedes, leaving the peel so sweet you swear it's been candied to roll around in the mouth against the lingering sourness of the pulp.

So while I knew that the fruit on my kumquat tree was edible, without a compelling reason to laboriously pick the tiny fruits, I haven't done much with the tree beyond popping a few in my mouth during the season while I was in the backyard. The only thing I had seen people use them for was chopped up in relish and salsa. Meh. That's a lot of work for something that wasn't that special.

Then, at a friends a house I discovered pickled kumquats. Finally! Something that made picking the fruit worthwhile! I made a batch and enjoyed eating them as a snack, with ice cream, and with other various dairy products. Anything that begged for a fruit compote could use these refrigerated pickles.

But then. I discovered something.

Something that made these pickles go from a fru-fru homesteading thing I did occasionally when my jar in the fridge ran low and there were still fruit on the tree, to something that had me going out and picking the little suckers eagerly and willingly.


These pickles are perfect on my favorite slaw when I don't have mangos. And because I'm going to to the grocery store every 4 weeks because of the pandemic, how often do you think I have random mangos laying around? That's right, never.

Discovering my four-year-old had eaten all of my canned mandarins that I had planned to garnish the slaw with, and resigning myself to slicing up oranges instead, thus sacrificing my beet and orange salad I had planned for later in the week I opened up the fridge and saw....THESE. OMG. I bet they would be perfect.

They were.

Look, I know that not everyone has random kumquats that need eating. But maybe you do! Or maybe, this will inspire you to find your perfect slaw fruit add-in.

Original Recipe based on a epicurious recipe that was authored by Marisa McClellan.

Note:

  • this recipe is based on 1 pound of fresh kumquats. I always make 2 pounds at a time. That's enough for a quart jar or two pint jars and is the right amount of fruit picking before I get bored. Scale the recipe up as you need. 
  • I specify white vinegar but it doesn't really matter. The first time I made this recipe I misread white vinegar as "white wine vinegar" (being ADHD is hard you'all!) and then didn't have enough of that so made up the difference with rice vinegar. It tasted FINE. It tasted GREAT. In perusing the internet I saw a lot of different vinegars used, so use what you have and use what you like. It will taste just fine. Maybe not balsamic. Please don't use balsamic. 


Git 'er done

Wash 1 pound of kumquats and sort out any with blemishes or soft spots. Using a sharp knife cut them in half and give them a half-hearted squeeze to remove any obvious seeds. Depending on how much you hate the seeds will depend on how much attention you give this step. I usually just try to get the big ones out and then proceed with my life. My kumquats are usually picked really clean and I remove the stems at the washing step, but maybe you want to go to the extra trouble to trim off the stem end. I don't. But I'm lazy. You probably aren't as lazy as Mel.

Put halved kumquats into a sauce pan and cover with cold water. Bring to boil and turn off heat and let set for 5 min. Drain and place into a bowl.

In the sauce pan combine 1 1/2 cups of white vinegar, 1/2 cup granulated white sugar, 1 teaspoon of picking salt (or really any kosher salt). Turn up the heat to boil. In the meantime go out and dig out whatever whole spices you have on hand. 6 peppercorns, 6 whole cloves, 2 cardamom pods, 1 star anise (I never have this), 1 thin slice of fresh ginger, maybe a stick of cinnamon. Do your best. Wipe dust off and add to the vinegar liquid and go ahead and boil it.

Once the liquid has come to a boil, add the softened kumquats and simmer for 1-2 minutes. Spoon the fruit into clean canning jars. Try to avoid the spices if that's your thing. I don't mind if a clove or peppercorn or two slips past. Pour the liquid over the fruit to fill the jars. Put the lids on and let cool on your counter, then put in the fridge.

There will be left over liquid that won't fit in the jar. The original recipe says you can use it in sparkling water for a refreshing drink, or whisk it into a vinegarette but I've never tried it.

These pickles will keep in the fridge 4-6 weeks. I don't do shelf stable canning, but I've seen directions for pickled kumquats to be shelf-stable canned so I know it can be done.



No comments:

Post a Comment